Index

Pictures

Nelson Furnace Side of Furnace Top of Furnace
Nelson Furnace Sign Side of Furnace Top of Furnace

Description

The furnace stones remain in poor condition. Per Kenny Blair, a local iron furnace enthusiast, the site was originally two stacks, as shown by drawings at the local library. It is unclear where the second stack would stand. We think that the stack would be to the right of the existing ruins. Stone may have been removed for other projects. The remaining stones may be buried. Old sketches indicate that there were two openings per stack. Slag samples indicate a high limonite content with ropy slag condition. It is possible that one steam engine ran both stacks, with a weaker blast as a result.

First Visited: 2Q 2004

History

Start of Operation: 1834, Rebuilt in 1853.

Blowout:

Daily Tonnage: 1,256 tons/year

Built By: J. B. Patterson

Stack: 33 feet high w/10 foot bosh

Blast: Hot

Type: Charcoal

Directions

GPS N37 43.803 W85 38.432 @456 feet


Return to KY Iron Page
Return to Home Page
Return to Iron Furnace Page