Index

Pictures

Buckhorn Furnace Capstone Closeup Cross Section of Stack Looking Up the Stack
Buckhorn Furnace Capstone Closeup Cross Section of Stack Looking Up the Stack

Description

As was the case with many furnaces, the builder (or sometimes owner) would place their name on the capstone above the tap opening. The date of construction (or operation) would usually be noted as well.

Part of the furnace fell when the area was strip mined. This is actually a minor benefit, as it is now possible to see a "cross-section" of the furnace. You can actually step into the inner furnace and look up the stack.

The furnace is in fair condition, primarily due to a tree growing out of the stack. The furnace is reported to be on public land - it would be nice to arrange for removal of the tree if this could be arranged.

Last Visit: 1Q-2001

History

Start of Operation: 1833 (Lesley reports 1836)

Blowout: ?

Daily Tonnage: 15

Built By: Buckhorn Furnace was built by James Findley.

Stack: 32 feet (Lesley reports 36 feet w/10 foot bosh)

Blast: Hot

Type: Charcoal

Per Gilbert Dodds, Buckhorn Furnace was built by the Seeley Willard and Company, and Boudinot Seeley was the manager.

According to genealogical records (Lawrence Register) Buckhorn furnace was owned by William Naylor McGugin. This individual was the president of the McGugin Coal and Iron Company. Apparently, Mr. McGugin also operated the Olive Furnace.

The furnace was operated from 1840-1843 (2 years) by John Peters, Sr., along with J. O. Willard. Apparently, they leased Buckhorn Furnace from McGugin. John Peters, Sr., was the manager According to an entry in the Ironton Register, July 13, 1899 - The Buckhorn Furnace, the property of McGugin & Co., Olive Furnace Post Office, Ohio, will probably be started in the near future. It is some time since the stack was operated. It is 38x10 and has a capacity of 8,000 tons annually. The Olive Furnace of the same firm is in operation and will run regularly. American Manufacturer. (Information from the Lawrence Register)

Per J.P. Lesley, the fn was owned by Seeley, Willard & Co. and managed by Boudinot Seeley. In 1856 the fn produced 1,450 tons of iron out of blue carbonate ore drawn from the lower coal measures.

Old Pictures - The following picture were provided courtesy of Amos Hawkins - Charcoal Iron Furnaces of Lawrence County, Ohio

Buckhorn Furnace
Old Photo of Buckhorn Furnace

Old Pictures - The following picture was provided courtesy of Richard Leive.

Buckhorn Furnace
Old Photo of Buckhorn Furnace

Directions

Take RT93 south from Jackson, Ohio. Turn right onto CR43 (North Buckhorn-Superior Road). The stack is on the right, about 1.5 miles down the road.

GPS - N38 44.150 W82 39.143 @702 feet

Return to OH Iron Page
Return to Home Page
Return to Iron Furnace Page