Index

Pictures

Eagle Furnace Backwall Eagle Furnace Backwall
Backwall of Furnace Backwall of Furnace

Description

Very little is left of Eagle Furnace, as can be seen from the pictures. An access road for strip mining demolished the furnace years ago, and all that remains is the backwall. The stack was located down a small hill close to the nearby stream. A few hundred yards up (where the road turns to the left) is the burning bed. There are layers of ore and charcoal at the bed site.

Last Visit: 1Q-2002

History

Start of Operation: 1852 (according to Lesley, 1854)

Blowout: ?

Daily Tonnage: Approx 8 to 9 tons per day

Built By: Eagle Furnace was built by A. Bentley, Benner, Bundy, and others

Stack: ? w/11 foot bosh

Blast: Hot

Type: Charcoal

Per J.P. Lesley, the fn produced 1,725 tons of iron in twenty eight weeks during 1856. The ore was coal measure limestone from the area around the fn.

Directions

From Route 93 take 160 East out of Hamden. About four miles you will reach Oreton. Look VERY closely for a small brick structure on the left. Just past the structure on the right is a road for the strip mine.

GPS - N39 09.772 W82 24.645 @730 feet

Return to OH Iron Page
Return to Home Page
Return to Iron Furnace Page