Index

Pictures

<
Mill Creek Furnace RH Side of Furnace
Mill Creek Furnace RH Side of Furnace

Description

Mill Creek was one of three furnaces built in the Youngstown area by the Eaton brothers, the other furnaces being Hopewell and Maria.

The furnace is in poor condition and quickly approaching ruin. The front of the furnace has collapsed exposing the inner cupola as firebrick is visible. It appears that the furnace was buried in the hillside and was excavated to some degree. The ground level is currently at the top of the front tuyere, meaning that an additional 4~5 feet remains buried at this time. The furnace was built against the stone wall of the hillside and probably acted as a heat sink, reducing the overall efficiency of the furnace.

The furnace was apparently converted to coal at some point in the 1850's. The furnace appears to have a large salamander of limestone and iron at the bosh and extending up the rear portion of the cupola. It is possible that the furnace did not operate well with the coal and became clogged at some point. The attempts to remove the blockage may have involved dynamite (a common practice) but the damage may have been deemed too extensive to warrant repair.

First Visited: 1Q-2007

History

Start of Operation: 1835

Blowout: 1855

Daily Tonnage: 3~4 tons

Built By: Daniel & James Eaton

Stack: 30 feet w/9 foot bosh

Blast: Cold

Type: Charcoal, later converted to coal

Per J.P. Lesley the furnace was last owned by David Grier.

Directions

Located in Mill Creek Park, located off Rt224 in southern Youngstown, in Boardman, Ohio. Look for the golf course and then go north on Lockwood to Truesdale, then north again on Hopokins Road. Hopkins turns into Bears Den Road, continue north to Old Furnace Road. Follow Old Furnace Road east to the Pioneer Pavilion, the furnace is located at the pavilion site.

GPS - N41 05.023 W80 40.843 @967 feet from above the fn.

Return to OH Iron Page
Return to Home Page
Return to Iron Furnace Page