Index

Pictures

Ohio Furnace Ohio Furnace
Backwall of Furnace Backwall of Furnace

Description

The only remaining remanents of Ohio Furnace exist on the hill behind a church. A few stones, probably from the backwall, are the only reminders of a once thriving business.

Last Visit: 1Q-2002

History

Start of Operation: ? See below

Blowout: 1882

Daily Tonnage: 10 tons

Built By: David Sinton and T.W. Means

Stack: 10-1/2 foot bosh

Blast: Hot

Type: Charcoal

The following information was obtained from Nelson Evans.

The furnace was built in 1824 and went into blast in 1825. It operated continuously until February 24th, 1882. It passed to Means, Kyle and Company, who sold ore to Hamilton Furnace at Hanging Rock.

According to Eugene Willard, the furnace was built in 1845.

The following information was obtained from Gilbert Dodds.

An advertisement was sent to the Pittsburg Gazette on January 28, 1798, indicating:

Ohio Furnace - The proprietors of this furnace congratulate the public on the favorable prospect it affords of supplying the settlements on the waters of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, with Iron of the first quality. She is now in blast, and has made Castings lately equal in beauty and quality to any on this side of the mountains. Any orders for Ironware or particular Castings shall be carefully attended to, and executed with dispatch. Her situation on Kings' Creek within a mile and a half of the Ohio River, is remarkably favorable for those who wish to forward Castings either up or down the Ohio; and the prospect of Mr. Davidson's soon having Bar Iron at his New Forge, nearly compelted, a half mile below the furnace, will be additional convenience to the public.

The Ohio Furnace is believed to have been built by Jeremiah Grant, who was also involved in the construction of Brush Creek Furnace.

Per J.P. Lesley, the ch fn was owned by Sinton and Means and managed by George B. Sparks. The fn produced 2,168 tons of iron in thirty four weeks of 1856. The ore was drawn from lower coal measure outcrop hematite ores from the east. Lesley reported that the fn was built in 1850.

Directions

Take US 52 to Ohio Furnace Road. Follow the road until you find a church with a basketball court. It will be just past a bridge crossing a small stream. The remains of the furnace are on the hill behind the basketball court.

Return to OH Iron Page
Return to Home Page
Return to Iron Furnace Page